There is a Yeti in the back of everyone’s mind; only the blessed are not haunted by it. ~ old sherpa saying

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Cryptomundo:Bigfoot In Los Angeles? and Topanga Canyon Tales

From Cryptomundo: Bigfoot In Los Angeles?

This story reminds me of some childhood rumors of Bigfoot in California:

I've heard this off and on for years, very interesting -- of Bigfoot in California deserts and other areas. I remember some stories I heard about Bigfoot in the area from my teens, when I lived in Topanga Canyon, California. There was a story going around -- rumors, lore, etc. -- that a family of Bigfoot lived not far from us. Being about 15 or so I don't remember details, just that a handful of adults, sitting around, telling this as a true story. I don't recall anyone saying they'd seen Bigfoot themselves, but that they "knew" people who had seen not just one Bigfoot, but a whole family of Bigfoot, living in one of the canyons. At the time, I didn't know much about Bigfoot just a general sense of a BF creature living in the woods, and I didn't know what to think of the stories, except I do remember wondering at one man's insistence that the story was true and he struck me as being truly upset -- that he believed the stories. I remember looking at him and wondering if he was not telling all there was to tell. Oddly enough, I also remember thinking that his odd vibe didn't have so much to do with Bigfoot, but some other more mundane weirdness (and unwholesome) in that same area. Compare my comments here with ones I wrote in 2007 about these stories and my perception of them. In 2007 I wrote a piece for Tim Binnall's Binnall of America: L.A. UFOs, Looking Back, where I commented on Topanga Canyon Bigfoot tales:
For a while during my teen years I lived in Topanga Canyon with family. I heard a few stories of UFO sightings, nothing too exciting. Nothing about aliens, but stories of craft. Actually, I remember hearing more about “Bigfoot families,” living in the canyons in the area. (The Bigfoot stories came complete with warnings to not go wandering around alone, especially at night. All the ingredients of a good Urban Legend. Which doesn’t mean there couldn’t be “Bigfoot families” living in Topanga Canyon. While I am of the opinion Bigfoot exists, as readers know, including so called “paranormal” Bigfoot and a UFO connection, the stories I heard back then seemed like put ons. I never got the impression the people telling me these stories really believed them, or had any direct experience, which was unlike the UFO stories I heard.) ~ Trickster's Realm, Binnall of America, 2007.

No comments: