There is a Yeti in the back of everyone’s mind; only the blessed are not haunted by it. ~ old sherpa saying

Thursday, January 3, 2008

YETI


The Abominable Snowman and Year of the Yeti

The Cryptomundo blog has a blurb about the new edition of Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come to Life by Ivan T. Sanderson, which includes a preface written by Coleman. In New York, at the Rubin Museum of Art, they’ll be showing the 1957 movie The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas, with Coleman in attendance. Read more here for details.

Speaking of the movie, I’m a big fan of all those mostly black and white monster and flying saucer films from that era. (One of the reasons I started my blog Vintage UFO.) I remember when I first saw The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas, it scared me to death. (I was probably about six or seven.) I remember a scene in a cabin with someone getting ripped apart. I never pass up a chance to watch movies like this when they come on.

The movie stars Forrest Tucker and Peter Cushing. The Internet Movie Database describes Cushing’s character -- Dr. John Rollason -- as the “gentle English botanist” and Tucker, as Dr. Tom Friend, as the “gruff American scientist.”



Here are some quotes from the movie that I like:

Dr. John Rollason: This creature may have an affinity for man, something in common with ourselves. Let's remember that before we start shooting.

Dr. John Rollason: You're nothing but a cheap fairground trickster!

Dr. Tom Friend: They killed him. It was the sound of that howling. He couldn't stand it - it drove him mad.

No comments: